Thursday 18 April 2013

Pilot observation...

Thursday 18th April 2013


"Using observation as a method of data collection can be time-consuming because it involves attending the session being observed, for example a dance class or a client-related transaction, and the time needed to analyse and interpret what you have recorded. However, observation often provides a rich source of information of a behavioural nature that will yield information about the interpersonal relations of those being observed" - Course Reader 6

I completely agree. Although an observation may seem a little time consuming, the time and effort put in is definitely worth it. We can gain so much from seeing things first hand whether it be the body language used, the tone of voices or the expressions and reactions used. I should love to be able to observe a ballet class taught at a vocational school. 

During the observation I should like to look for the following:

  • How much praise is given to students?
  • If given, is it equal amongst students?
  • Are corrections given as constructive criticism or negative feedback?
  • How do the different students react to given praise/correction?
  • Does their performance improve or decrease in quality when given feedback?
  • Student body language/expressions
  • Teacher's approach
  • Voice tone and gestures of teacher
  • Overall atmosphere

I would want to take my own written notes through out so that I understand them and am able to write all that I should wish to. When it comes to gathering my information, I should have the sufficient details that I require.

I should hope that those participating in the class would carry on as normal, as if I weren't there and allow themselves to react and perform as they always do. I would want to see their 'true' class situation which leads me to think that maybe I would have to observe more than one session to enable the students to get used to me watching and feel comfortable enough to ignore my presence!

No comments:

Post a Comment