Saturday 29 September 2012

Opposites Attract

Friday 28th September 2012

After my first train was cancelled, my evening at the Birmingham Hippodrome made up for it.  I went to see Birmingham Royal Ballet's performance of 'Opposites Attract' last night. It's the first time I've seen them in a while so it felt good to be back at the ballet! It was interesting to watch different dancers, some that I have never seen perform before. The triple bill had a great variety - a bit for everyone; my favourite being 'Lyric Pieces'. The dancers used large concertina paper in different shapes and forms throughout. It created barriers, steps and covers for them, a clever and interesting idea. They moved with the paper as it was incorporated into the choreography.

Earlier in the day I read through the 'Professional Communication Technology' reader and the facts and figures on Facebook got me thinking.. As I watched the performance I thought about the number of dancers I knew about, purely because I have 'mutual friends' with them on Facebook. It proves how incredible social networking is. I, a member of the audience, knew their names, where they trained and, at times, how old they were just from social networking. It may seem like I'm a Facebook stalker (aren't we all at times?) but as well as being a social site, it connects people with similar interests and lifestyles, bringing people closer and allowing more contacts to be made - which could, potentially, take a career further and open new doors.

I will post another blog on my thoughts about this reader soon, once I have done the research that I have in mind.. I'll end with the link to the performance on the BRB website for you all to enjoy: 

http://www.brb.org.uk/masque/index.htm?act=WhatsOn&urn=23786&tsk=show


No comments:

Post a Comment