Monday 7 October 2013

Informative phone call..

Monday 7th October 2013

This evening I arranged a telephone call with Julia Buckroyd, the author of 'The Student Dancer' that I have been reading and studying for my inquiry.
My purpose of the telephone call was to enquire about how she became a student counsellor and what she thought were the best options and routes to get to where she is today.

I shall not go into those details here but it was interesting to hear just how passionate she is about her job and she said how the issues in vocational schools really are there and many "don't have anything in place" to support students. It is something that she and I feel needs to be encouraged and would produce a much more positive and thriving atmosphere within the learning environment. 

Julia expressed that focusing on eating disorder counselling for training would also help to get within the dance world. I feel she sees this as a key trigger for student unhappiness and stress. She has written other books and articles on the matter. I have already decided that I do not wish to explore this route within my inquiry, especially as I shall be questioning students themselves. I feel that this topic is too sensitive and many may not wish to discuss it.

When asking about other relevant articles or works of hers for my inquiry, she said: "if you've read 'The Student Dancer', you've read it all. It was one of my last writings so therefore the end results of everything". As suggested by Julia, I shall keep an eye out on her website for any further writing from her but shall also try and study some previous works that may give me more information or ideas.

I felt privileged to have a conversation with her and will be in contact again should I have any further questions. It is great to know there are such kind and generous people out there who will go out of their way to help.


5 comments:

  1. Hi Emily, that's so great! How did you manage to get a phone call with her? Sounds like it's been really useful for you and your inquiry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clare, simply by emailing the address on her website! I was so pleased she was happy to help, and such a quick response too!

      Delete
    2. Oh, simple enough then! That's so good of her to do. Well done you for just asking!!

      Delete
  2. Emily ditto - this should help you think about your topic - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful, Emily!
    It sounds like she's really inspired you and that you've been able to narrow down your inquiry even further after listening to her.
    Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete