Sunday 15 September 2013

Back on track

Sunday 15th September 2013

The summer has flown by but I'm ready to get going with the final module. I have started my reading and already discovering some interesting facts and information. "The Student Dancer" by Julia Buckroyd explores so many of the same thoughts that I have myself. She looks at the way in which students are trained and how important it is that how they are taught really effects their physical performance during training but also their lifestyle and adolescent development.

I am only part way through the book so far but it is interesting me that Buckroyd is looking at the age of the students and the changes etc that they are going through in life alongside their training. Changes such as puberty, gaining/losing self confidence, starting relationships. There are natural, life progressions to deal with as well as the stresses at school.

I agree with many of Buckroyd's thoughts and have been getting my way through her writing (with a highlighter in hand) and picking out key points and those that interest me. I shall, of course, share these in due course.

Now, back to the book...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emily,
    I hope you had a great summer :)

    I'm also finding The Student Dancer a great reference book, it's been on my bookshelf for years and is well thumbed!
    Her discussions on motivation and the student psyche are part of why I am embarking upon a study of motivation in dance students for this module.

    I know our inquiries are following slightly different lines but it would be great to talk over aspects of our research that, perhaps, cross over.

    S

    ReplyDelete