Sunday 24 March 2013

Quick thought!

Sunday 24th March 2013

Having had a talk with my flatmate (as girls do) it came to my attention that every day troubles, relationship issues etc that make our minds wander, distract us can also affect our every day performance in life. If your mind is elsewhere, thinking of other things, we are not focused on our day and the tasks we should be doing and what we should be doing next.

She mentioned that she has started to think of her day ahead whilst travelling to work so that her mind has focused and having tried this, she has had a much more positive and productive week at work - less distracted and generally feeling happier.

This is what I want to do and feel that it shows everyone can have mental strains that affect their 'performance' in different ways.. not just how we dance on stage!


3 comments:

  1. Hiya Emily,
    Mental wellness is so important and has such an effect on all aspects of life.
    I spent a lot of this week trying to focus on the last tasks of the current module but just could not get my mind to engage with any of the topics. The reason...my dog has not been well (she's old and her heart is giving out but this week there were signs that it is failing faster than we thought). Try as I might I just stared at the screen, got up, went back, got frustrated, gave up, felt guilty, went back, and so on.
    It was only on Saturday, when she seemed a little brighter and I had adjusted to the new possible scenario, that I was finally able to bang out some coherent thoughts...

    I realy look forward to following your inquiry. It has so many possibilities... :)
    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily
    I think this is a very valid point. I often use my train time as thinking time, and end up writing endless todo lists etc...
    I find it a good time to utilise for thinking and planning as often when stuck on trains we can get frustrated for the time it is wasting us. However if you can use it to your advantage if you just sit back and think!! Also it leaves your head clear of thoughts and you can focus on the day ahead:) funnily enough I am currently doing just this on my train journey right now!! Hence why I thought I'd leave you a comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah, that made me smile! I am the same, any time I am not busy, I feel I am wasting it. I always want to be pro active but sometimes we really must stop and think. Allow ourselves time to compose our thoughts, think about the day(s) ahead and be mentally ready. It can be so easy to jump straight into situations and get caught up.. it can leave us feeling disappointed or that we have not fully achieved what we set out to do as we were not prepared. I think I have learnt that I need to set time aside for this, even if it means writing random thoughts down so that I can come back to them at a more convenient time but don't have to try and remember everything through out the day - else I will constantly be distracted!

      Delete