Wednesday 13 February 2013

Thinking outside the box...

Wednesday 13th February 2013

I have copied and pasted from a word document so excuse the larger font... I can't seem to match it up with my others!

Having enjoyed studying and researching Kolb’s ‘learning cycle’ in module 1, it is interesting that it is already making an appearance again. However, this time, I am seeing it in another light, looking at it from another perspective. The course reader quotes that Argyris and Schon “suggested that if a single loop learning cycle (like the Kolb cycle for example) does not always deliver the changed required in the workplace” - (Course Reader 4, 2012) I had not thought about it like this... until now!
I now understand that although the cycle helps to explain how we use our learning styles, and how they work with one another, we could very easily get caught up in the cycle, and not escape it.

We can all get stuck into a routine and never branch out, look for other ways approaching or resolving issues. It is so important to ‘think outside the box’, let go of our thoughts to enable us to live a more varied life. We should use professional networking to get away from the ordinary people we are around and expand the groups and ideas that we have.
They say that we can ‘go around in circles’ and get ‘stuck in a viscious circle’ and it is this that I feel we should really try and not do. This will allow our personal development to grow and our professional practice to progress.

I believe that this comes into every day life, whatever your career may be. If I were to focus on a dancer’s life, it really comes into play... 

Many dancers will begin their career in the corps de ballet or ensemble and a lot of the time, they may become ‘too comfortable’ or fit in too well in their role and it is then difficult for them to work their way up within the company or production they are in.

Do other BAPP students agree with this?

It worries me that some dancers are in the corps de ballet and will only ever be in the corps de ballet. I understand that many would be happy with this, but I do find it concerning that they may be looked over as they blend in too well. Many will have much more ability to show yet are not able to express it as they dance in the shadows, unable to be noticed and not pushed to their full potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment