Sunday 11 November 2012

Theories relating to networking

Sunday 11th November 2012



Lest we forget...    



When first reading of 'The Networked Professional' course reader, I must admit, I felt like I had been bombarded with information and a lot seemed quite alien to me. Having read it again, and thought about it more, I have a much better understanding and can now discuss the different concepts and how they are taking part in my own professional practice...

Cooperation

Having worked part time in retail I can relate to cooperation within a working environment and the idea of dealing with situations as a team in order to produce the best possible outcomes. As well as being a cooperative team, I can also fully understand that the concept can be associated with 'Game Theory' and how it's origins are “where one player succeeds at another's expense”. My experience in retail reflect this. If one team member were to excel in sales and customer service, they would be given more working hours which could then, potentially, lead to promotion. Other team members, those who either didn't push themselves enough or were purely unlucky and not seen when doing a high standard job, would miss out on such opportunities, falling behind those that were successful. Within networks, professionals can see this as competition. They all strive to be the best – back to the old 'survival of the fittest' theory. We all want to succeed in life and in our professional practices. This will always happen if we do cooperate with others in our networks but sometimes, as individuals, we do have to give that extra bit more, use our initiative and push ourselves forward, above the rest.
I can also relate to this idea from my experiences of dance auditions. The majority of dancers will help one another through out the audition process. Working out steps and timings of the given routine etc. As soon as they come to perform for the panel, the sense of cooperation tends to leave them and they are there purely because they want the job. I know that this isn't the case for everyone, I don't want to stereotype! But personally, I have seen this on several occasions.

Axelrod says: “Should a friend keep providing favours to another friend who never reciprocates?”.. I am guilty of this. As I have realised so far on this course, I enjoy and get satisfaction from helping others. I will always go out of my way to help someone, friends in particular, and more than often, I don't get the favour in return. I don't get offended or affected by this but it does make me realise that sometimes, as a person, I am 'too nice' – if that's possible?!
“Sometimes the selection process is direct: a member of Congress who does not accomplish anything in interactions with colleagues will not long remain a member of Congress.” Very true. I agree with Axelrod here. If we do not do as we need to within our professional network, we will not succeed and progress. We must get along with who we should and obey the rules and regulations. Interaction with other team members and cooperating day in day out is essential. With out it we would be working alone, no other opinions or input which could potentially lead to wrong doings. Cooperating with others allows us to see the other side of things, gain ideas of various solutions and enables a good, strong working environment where everyone's input is equally important.

Affiliation

Creating strong, close relationships with those in our professional networks allows us to gain good connections with those following similar paths. As I have previously mentioned, it is more about 'who you know' that seems to get us further in life. Knowing you have the support to go to or fall back on is essential. There is nothing worse than having no one to turn to or to ask for advice from, receiving a second opinion. By forming these close relationships, whether it be a professional or a friend, we have that person or people that we know will be there when we need them and give us their help. Personally, I need affiliation where I have someone that will sit and listen to me, discuss the matter and offer me advice. It seems a lot to ask but I know that I would happily offer this to any of my friends and will go out of my way to help them.
Within my professional practice and networks, I have to affiliate with those on the course and my academic adviser. Without them, I'd be stuck and it is so important to have the opinions and thoughts of these people for my own professional development. I need their reflection on what I am thinking to enable me to think differently about things and see ideas in another light. If they were not there to say these things to me, I would never know and certain thoughts and ideas may never progress.
The extract from Crisp and Turner mentions that teenagers were "...happier, more alert.... when in the company of others”. I can fully relate to this. I am a 'people person' so I love having company and people around me to discuss things with. Whether it be about the Universe, my working life or a programme that was on television last night. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel the need to constantly be surrounded by others, I do also very much enjoy 'me' time. Reading, going for walks or sitting listening to music. These allow me to process my thoughts alone, without any distractions and I can then figure them out my self before discussing them with those I affiliate with. This extract also quotes: “..a network of support that will help us when we are in need” which is exactly as I was saying earlier! I agree with a lot of what is said in this extract, they talk about feeling “isolated” with too little contact but “crowded” with too much. This is how I often feel and it would be good to be able to operate to the principle of homeostasis.. but sometimes, we can not. Depending on our work environment, we may have to be around more people than we wish for lengthy periods of times or, as a contrast, we may be set tasks that require us to be alone and work as an individual. If we were always able to control it, we may all feel happier but as said earlier, we have to do what we need to do and work with those who we must to enable a better professional practice.

As always I have so many thoughts going through my mind, I am beginning to write an awful lot down... I will continue this blog soon to discuss social constructionism and connectivism... once I have gathered my ideas and more information!




7 comments:

  1. Hi Emily - I have just printed out the third Reader and was hoping to look at it later on this evening (over a cup of tea and a large piece of chocolate!).
    Having just finished your blog, I am now really looking forward to reading it. I thought you made some very clear and interesting points, and the whole piece of writing was really positive and inspiring. So much so that I think I'll put the kettle on right now...
    S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, thanks for your lovely comment. Hope you managed to get through the reader ok - a massive cuppa always helps with everything! I'll be interested to read your views on it all!

      Delete
  2. Hi Emily, I have just posted about cooperation and then read your blog and realised we have some similar ideas, I even posted about "survival of the fittest" aswell..it is true that if we look at evolution that is the way the world works!

    I am also guilty of the same thing as you..too many times my family have shouted at me for being "too nice". I think that sometimes it pays off, as I wrote in my blog, sometimes people appreciate that you want good things for them so eventually they want them for you too.

    However, a lot of the time people take advantage and I have to say that I have made myself "toughen up" over the last couple of years. I have realised that if you continue to do favours for people, they won't even appreciate them let alone recipricate and so therefore I have learnt to say no sometimes (a big step for me!) and actually tell people what I want...

    Suprisingly I have found that this has (so far) always resulted in cooperation. If you actually speak up people will listen but you have to make yourself tell people what you want in return for what you are doing for them. This way we can push people a little to cooperate every time rather than compete!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire, thanks for your comment!
      It is so great that we share some similarities! It would be good to keep in touch and be able to discuss our thoughts to 'compare notes' and see how, eventually, our careers turn out.
      I can agree with you on trying to 'toughen up'. I have also managed to learn to actually say 'no' to people! I would always be a push over and would never want to let people down.. sometimes we really do have to think selfishly and put ourselves first, which I can find quite difficult!

      Delete
    2. Definitely Emily, we seem to want to go in the same kind of direction as well at the moment so will be interesting to see what we both end up doing!

      Haha yes it's hard but you're right, sometimes you do have to think selfishly!

      Delete
  3. Hi Emily, first of all I have to say your blog is truly inspiring. I always love reading through your posts, they are always so positive!!

    After I've finished task 3c I read your blog and I saw that we have a couple of similar ideas which is really great. For instance, I also wrote about survival of the fittest just like you and Clare :).
    I also find it interesting that you're a person that is 'too nice'. That made me think about myself and whatever I'm like that too or if I actually give people back for what they've done for me. The key is definitely finding the right balance. As everything in life!
    Great working again Emily and I'm already looking forward to your next post ;)!
    Paola x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Survival of the fittest is key in our professional networks. I wonder how many people manage to put that aside to a degree and actually contribute to there professional networks rather than just take. I've thought a lot about setting up a more structured professional network at a school i work in, so people have to contribute. I wonder how it would work???

    ReplyDelete