Tuesday 16 October 2012

Cycles, styles and processes...

Tuesday 16th October 2012

I bought myself a note book to use as my journal yesterday and have begun writing in it already.. After reading through the Reflection reader and our tasks for part 2, my mind has been busy and I am finding it all very interesting. With a plan to become a Dance Movement Therapist, a lot of the theories and cycles we are reading about link to previous reading I have done about therapy. Assessing an event and the emotions involved is often a way of getting to the bottom of a problem that may be causing stress or anxiety. Thinking how we can change how we feel about the event, looking at it more positively will help us to overcome the negative, uneasy thoughts that come with it.

From looking at Kolb's learning cycle, I have come to realise that my personal learning style is as follows:

1. Abstract conceptualisation
2. Reflective observation
3. Active experimentation

My dance educational experience taught me to use active experimentation as a priority and also reflective observation. I would adapt movements for convenience purposes. For example, I would change direction or miss a few steps in order to prevent any collisions or running out of space. I would use reflective observation after a performance or exercise in class in order to look back and think about what I could have done better and what I need to adjust or improve on for next time.
I still use reflective observation in every day life but feel that my active experimentation has changed to abstract conceptualisation now that I am out of training.

Being fascinated by all of this, I have done extra reading on Kolb's learning cycle and styles.
(http://www.simplypsychology.org/learning-kolb.html) 

As well as the 4 points on the cycle given in the reader, he shows an axis of two continuums. East to West being "processing" (how we approach a task) and North to South being "perception" (our emotional response to it). 
With the axis in place, we now have four mixed styles. For example 'north-east' of his cycle is a mix of concrete experience and reflective observation.. here is the diagram taken from my reading to explain:


I feel that I used to come under the 'Diverging' style. I am still very interested in the Arts and culture and it was whilst dancing that I showed emotion and imagination and wanted the 'personal feedback' that Kolb describes..

"Kolb called this style 'Diverging' because these people perform better in situations that require ideas-generation, for example, brainstorming. People with a Diverging learning style have broad cultural interests and like to gather information. They are interested in people, tend to be imaginative and emotional, and tend to be strong in the arts. People with the Diverging style prefer to work in groups, to listen with an open mind and to receive personal feedback."
- McLeod, S. A. (2010). Kolb | The Learning Style Inventory

Nowadays, I feel I use 'Assimilating'. I have always loved academic work but within dance, the artistic side to me overshadowed this and now, I feel my interest in structure, concepts, ideas and information are more apparent. 

"The Assimilating learning preference is for a concise, logical approach. Ideas and concepts are more important than people. These people require good clear explanation rather than practical opportunity. They excel at understanding wide-ranging information and organizing it a clear logical format. People with an Assimilating learning style are less focused on people and more interested in ideas and abstract concepts. People with this style are more attracted to logically sound theories than approaches based on practical value."
- McLeod, S. A. (2010). Kolb | The Learning Style Inventory
Moving on from Kolb, I am also interested in Howard Gardner's views on 'multiple intelligences'. I think I associate best with 'interpersonal' and 'intrapersonal'. I am often the 'agony aunt' amongst friends and will always be willing to help to understand and relate to people and their emotional lives. I think that this is a reason why I am so interested in therapy, I enjoy being able to help others, especially by listening and talking things through. As well as these intelligences, I fall under Gardner's 'VAK' category. I am a very visual learner and always will be. For instance, in exams at school, if I were trying to remember a certain fact or quote, I would visualise the page from my revision notes or the text book and see the words in my mind rather than actually always remember a fact. It also helps being a visual learner when finding my way round new places. If you know me, you know that my sense of direction is appalling. Visualising specific buildings or road names allows me to end up in the right place.. eventually.

"They should not limit you by making you feel you are one kind of learner but they can be used as a tool for your understanding of how you and others learn. The give value to the different ways we can engage with real world experiences" - Reflection Reader

With my reading so far, I am already so intrigued by how we learn and how our minds work. I shall continue my studies and explore further into it.. expect another lengthy blog post soon!

You can give me learning styles over Harry Styles any day...!

7 comments:

  1. Emily I agree with everything you've said here...my head has never been so full of thoughts i swear. I also want to go on to study Dance Therapy and found it really interesting to see some familiar names in the reader too. So many many thoughts, and thank you for the extra info..tomorrow it's time for me to start trying to make my thoughts make sense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare, thank you for your comment! I have been doing even more reading into it.. I can get carried away. Hope you manage to organise your thoughts. I'll be interested to see what you say!

      Delete
    2. Haha, I get carried away aswell..I've been meaning to blog about learning styles for the past week or so but everytime something else keeps popping up and I get too stuck into that! But I think tomorrow I will be on it!!

      Delete
  2. I really like how you have looked more into Kolbs learning cycle here! It gives us yet another angle to think of. I can also relate to the visual learning thing, when I learn a song I picture the sheet music in my head just like yourself at school.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah. I assume being a visual learner is linked to being artistic? I imagine quite a few others on the course are the same too. It's nice to hear the similarities!

      Delete
  3. This is a great post on the application of Kolb's theory to your learning style and learning in general. The missing element is the concrete experience which is the practice itself and in keeping with the module's current theme "Reflective Practitioner" how this activity can move us on through the cycle and ultimately transform and give weight to our professional practice. I enjoyed you last cryptic comment

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the feedback Rosemary. I will be adding more on this later in the week on how it is used and affects my own professional practice. I just had to write down all my thoughts as they came to me but now need to collect them together and put them to use in 'Reflective Practitioner'!

    ReplyDelete